Remembering Challenger and its Crew

Talk about space exploration, SETI, exopolitics, wormholes, generation spaceships, going back to the Moon and on to Mars, astronomy, exobiology, etc. Live long and prosper.

Moderators: siren13, Essence, Giorgio Tsoukalos

Remembering Challenger and its Crew

Postby RaeRabies » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:27 pm

I dont know if this was the appropriate place to stick this, but I think it should be posted somewhere

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/28/re ... ars-later/
RaeRabies

Postby goldenstar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:31 pm

I remember it like it was yesterday. I had just returned from taking my oldest daughter (then a baby) to get an immunization and it was on the news. It was such a tragedy.
goldenstar

Postby angeloneastralseed » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Seems to me the right place. Thanks for sharing that, I watched a program last night honoring all the fallen astronauts.
angeloneastralseed

Postby amyrigg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:58 pm

I'll never forget that. i was in rockledge florida at the time, at work at modernage publications, we always went outside in the yard to see the shuttle go up & watched that blow up right in front of our eyes. I remember saying "oh no that does NOT look good" and my sister shaking her head "no no that doesn't look good at all" and our boss, who was a very positive sort, saying "oh it's ok, it's ok, everything is ok" and we all ran inside to listen to the radio & found out that no - it was not good at all. that's a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach to see something like that - we cried and cried ...
amyrigg

Postby Moon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45 pm

This is the appropriate thread for this. I also was at work and someone was watching TV while phoning an order (I worked for sales then). She started screaming "Oh my God!" and then told me the news. It was very sad indeed the rest of the day.

I also loved this dedication in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

"The cast and crew of Star Trek wish to dedicate this film to the men and woman of the spaceship Challenge whose courageous spirit shall live to the 23rd Century and beyond..."

That received a standing ovation from the audience in the theater I attended.
Last edited by Moon on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Serene » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm

Thank you for posting this.

As I am sitting here watching, remembering and shedding tears again, I can't help but wonder if there are aliens out there like us, feeling emotions of joy and sadness, and compassion; if these abilities were given to us when they made us in their image........?
Serene

Return to Space Exploration / SETI / Exopolitics