Crash Go The Chariots.

Discuss everything Erich von Däniken related here: Chariots of the Gods, his books, appearances, etc. Have you ever met EvD in person? When? Where? Share your story/photos here!

Moderators: siren13, Giorgio Tsoukalos, Essence

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Re: Crash Go The Chariots.

Postby Moon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Bootlegpass, no one here is accusing anyone of attacking Erich von Daniken. It is OK to be critical of some of the books and bring out what may be errors or items that may have an earthly explanation. This board is about ideas and can challenge many aspects of the AAT. I am critical of many parts of Zecharia Sitchin's work and also think too much is relied on ancient texts as evidence (Biblical to mythical).

My main concern is the errors and explainable aspects of the theory mean the debunkers and skeptics ignore the good evidence that is out there.

I also don't think the Nazca Lines were used for landing by the ETs. I do think they could of been just decorations, like many people see at airports or murals on buildings.

bootlegpass

Postby bootlegpass » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I guess, after reading so many comments about debunking, I kind of took it personal. I appreciate you sharing your willingness to question the evidence as presented, it reinforces my belief that we should all look at what is presented, examine the facts, and draw our own conclusions based on said facts. That is my definition of free thinking - if everyone proceded this way, the world would have far fewer problems.

Vance

Postby Vance » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 pm

bootlegpass wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I guess, after reading so many comments about debunking, I kind of took it personal. I appreciate you sharing your willingness to question the evidence as presented, it reinforces my belief that we should all look at what is presented, examine the facts, and draw our own conclusions based on said facts. That is my definition of free thinking - if everyone proceded this way, the world would have far fewer problems.

bootleg,

It's good to have your kind on this forum. Blind acceptance is the most damaging thing we can do. Unfortunately, there are those on this forum (on both sides) that fall victim to this. Just keep doing what you're doing!

Pons Asinorum

Postby Pons Asinorum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:43 am

(my emphasis)
bootlegpass wrote:I get the impression that if I believe exactly as you, I am accepted as long as I don't question it; however, if I do have questions or comments about obvious issues that hamper the advancement of AA theory, I am not welcome here.

I have no idea whether AA theory is true or not- I can tell you there is some compelling evidence in its favor. However, it has its flaws just as mainstream theory does. The entire point of my above post was to attempt to explain why EVD isn't considered a credible source- not to discredit him. I thought by posting here I could join an open-minded group willing to debate. Is debate not how advancement is made? However, I feel that there are some people living in glass houses here- by that I mean you throw your rocks at those who you percieve to believe differently than you and claim they don't want to examine the evidence (mainstream science) and engage in debate; yet, when someone who merely points out an obvious issue with EVD, you are no more willing to be open-minded than the mainstream, and label it as debunking.

Glass houses indeed, well said.

I am somewhat close-minded (a skeptic to AAT), but open to the possibility of AAT. You, however, are a truly open-minded individual, and therefore rare.

Four quick points, if I may bootlegpass:

First, you are quite welcome here. I for one, enjoyed your open-mindedness and found it quite refreshing.

Second, your points are spot-on (debunker, believer -- whatever label some wish to bestow on you -- your points, they are accurate).

Third, any theory that requests scientific validation must respond to its critics in a logically rigid and valid manner (indeed that is science). Failure to do so (usually via personal attacks), means rejection from the scientific world. Skeptics, critics, and debunkers ought to be embraced by the AAT community and responded to in a serious manner (peer review is part of the scientific method too), less it becomes a belief system more akin to a religion. For some this is apparently acceptable.

Fourth, you are an open-minded person, but keep in mind that such are rare in general and believers (and non-believers) abound, yet most would consider themselves as "open-minded." Note those that attempted to offer a genuine intelligent response to your inquiry and those who offered personal attacks (like labeling) or those who acted as apologists. Although not a scientific poll, that ratio is quite typical IMHO.

Any notion, even remotely, that is perceived as challenging an article of faith will be hotly contested by the most close-minded individuals (the less remote, the more challengers and the less close-mindedness).

In short bootlegpass, you are going to need a helmet.

I hope you stay and continue to post your comments.

Bob137

Postby Bob137 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:34 am

Third, any theory that requests scientific validation must respond to its critics in a logically rigid and valid manner (indeed that is science). Failure to do so (usually via personal attacks), means rejection from the scientific world. Skeptics, critics, and debunkers ought to be embraced by the AAT community and responded to in a serious manner (peer review is part of the scientific method too), less it becomes a belief system more akin to a religion. For some this is apparently acceptable.

So in regards to questioning the AA Theory. Then explain to me how the mountain tops in Peru were sheered off utilizing conventional methods of the time period when they were done? Also explain to me how the stones of Puma Punku were formed, and fashioned, and moved, and put into place and how was the complex destroyed, without leaving any evidence of how it was destroyed? Also explain to me how the granite in the Great pyramid was cut and formed so precisely utilizing copper tools, or any other tools of that time period, to where they were not only done within 1/100th precision, but also the carvings in granite? Explain the Out of Place Artifacts, that are thousands to millions of years old that are machined during those time periods, that anthropologists say only cave men, and/or ape men existed?

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:32 pm

I would be considered a skeptic by many people as I do not think all the ideas are correct and many have flaws from the authors concerned. I feel welcome here and even became a moderator, so that shows people who hold skeptical views about some of these subjects are more than welcome.

Some persons I am skeptical of:

Mr Zecharia Sitchin: His Nibiru and Annunaki theories are questionable.

Edgar Cayce: I think he was a charlatan who fooled many people back in the day. I would of loved to been at a meeting between Cayce and Harry Houdini, who was debunking many people who made claims of the paranormal back then.

2012: I have not found much on this idea in the 1990s, then the media exploded with all kinds of tripe about who prophesied about it, including many Native American tribes. It is amusing how many sites there are where the Native Americans all deny they have a 2012 Doomsday prophecy, but it gets ignored.

Richard Hoagland, Dr Steven Greer, CSM Robert Dean (USA Ret) and Dulce: Every time those names and places get mentioned I chuckle a little. And don't get me started on Alex Jones, who has a lot of fans here.

The idea of the AAT is an idea that enthralls me though. There are many artifacts that can be perceived to be astronauts and huge monuments which were built that defy many of the explanations given today. Do I think ETs came to Earth and built them? No, but I would not be surprised if they did help with the knowledge.

I also think we are being visited today (there are many cases out there that are too good to ignore) so it should stand that we have been visited in the past.

I also want to see the smoking gun evidence of finding an ancient spaceship or bones of an alien. I think the Starchild Skull is looking very good right now, but a few more independent tests must be done to corroborate the results more than once.

The purpose of this board is to ask questions not only about what mainstreamers say, but what the ancient astronaut theorists also say. The main thing here is treating all with respect, even those we disagree with.

Bob137

Postby Bob137 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:28 pm

I agree, I was just asking questions, for the scientific evidence that goes against the AAT on these subjects. I also do not believe all of that comes out of the Ancient Astronaut Theory, but some I do agree with. Such as what I had put questions to. I also do not agree with most of the mainstream findings though, since so many that I have studied, have so many holes in them, a lot more than the AA Theory. I like scientific study, I just believe it is supposed to be with an open mind, always with an open mind, even Einstein believed that! I do believe there were any advanced civilizations in our ancient past, and that most either destroyed themselves, or were destroyed by natural catastrophies. Look at what is left of the coast of Japan, it looks just like many ancient sites where all that is left is the foundations. In regards to aliens, there is just so much evidence of artifacts, and writings, and legends, and myths, and paintings to ignore the fact of UFO's, and aliens. When it comes to Edgar Cayce, he gave readings that healed thousands of people, so I do believe his readings on those are good, the others, are to me speculative, when it comes to events, such as Nostradamus's are speculative. I also know that the Native Americans legends that are handed down are of a much later time frame, from 2012 to 2025, not a certain date, but a proposed time frame based on what has came to be already from their prophecies, and legends. When it comes to the military black ops, some are real, some seem too outlandish. They do have underground bases, but from what I have learned is more in line with finding Gold, and such, and keeping projects out of the public eyes, but in regards to an alien coop, I am not so sure about that. I know the military knows about at least 4 different kinds of aliens, but whether they have had actual contact and or agreement with them, that is speculative also. I know the military has a plan if there is an invasion of sorts, but other than that, I only know of Roswell being different than what they put out on it, for disinformation purposes. I cannot state how I know this from the military, I just know, and cannot say more.

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:46 pm

What they never tell people is that Edgar Cayce threw the entire kitchen sink at people who went to his sessions. He also gave many different cures that probably were more harmful than helpful. He is always stated he never made any money on this, but his wife did collect the fees. I always found that one to be very funny.

His predictions were all way off as he said California would sink in the ocean in the 1960s and Atlantis would rise again around that same time frame.

I do not think he helped anyone but made money off of their health problems. He should of been put in jail but many people still believe he was the real deal.

The Dulce story was created in order to have a UFO investigator slowly go crazy. It worked and William Moore along with an OSI NCO Richard Doty were responsible. The story has survived and morphed in the internet to what many read today.

There are just as many arguments against the AAT also. But I do think it is one idea that really needs to get looked into.

I also think something crashed at Roswell and they actually revealed what it was before the military got a change of heart and decided it would scare people too much (my theory, not sure what the real reason is).

Pons Asinorum

Postby Pons Asinorum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Bob137 wrote:So in regards to questioning the AA Theory. Then explain to me how the mountain tops in Peru were sheered off utilizing conventional methods of the time period when they were done? Also explain to me how the stones of Puma Punku were formed, and fashioned, and moved, and put into place and how was the complex destroyed, without leaving any evidence of how it was destroyed? Also explain to me how the granite in the Great pyramid was cut and formed so precisely utilizing copper tools, or any other tools of that time period, to where they were not only done within 1/100th precision, but also the carvings in granite? Explain the Out of Place Artifacts, that are thousands to millions of years old that are machined during those time periods, that anthropologists say only cave men, and/or ape men existed?

Great questions Bob.

The thing about science is that the burden of proof is on the person making an assertion.

For example, if I assert that there are gold coins on Pluto, then the burden of proof would not be on you to disprove it (via alternative theories or otherwise). The burden of proof would solely be on me -- if I wished to pursue such a proof to a scientific standard.

Likewise, if I claim that ancient astronauts sheared off those mountain-tops several centuries ago, then the burden of proof would be on me.

In EvD's first and most famous book, he cleverly avoided this logical fallacy by "asking questions," as opposed to making assertions. From a marketing point of view, this was pure genius because a large portion of the public would not necessarily detect the difference (or even care) and the more serious critics could safely be dismissed under the accurate guise that no assertions were made.

--

The granite question has already been answered (repeatedly). If you wish to pursue that posted assertion and its supporting evidence, please post a reply there.

Regarding your other questions, please feel free to start a new topic or find an appropriate existing one; be more than happy to respond.

Bob137

Postby Bob137 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:18 pm

In regards to the granite, if you are referring to Hearte's answers in another post, they do not work, on granite that way, not in the time period, and certainly not to the precision of 1/100th of an inch. He may be an Engineer, but not a civil engineer. Our local granite shops have the latest equipment, and it takes quite a bit to make granite like that, now to do so, with copper tools, or sand and saws, to that precision, and smoothness is ridiculous! I worked with granite in my 20's, (that may be over 30 years ago), but we still had electricity and diamond tipped saws, and it was not easy cutting the granite with those, and yet I am supposed to believe they used copper saws, or whatever saws and sand, it would take weeks to months just to cut one granite slab that way, and it would be a very extremely rough cut, not smooth, like Hearte stated, they then polished the sand without sandpaper, by rubbing it! That would take forever to get done. I am no genius, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that would be a very hard way to do it, and would take so long, it would never have been worth it, for the Egyptians to do it that way. If you believe other wise, buy some granite, and try it that way. I do not believe you will have much success, or anyone else for that matter. That is why on a show that had that idea also, utilized computer imaging, because no one is going to try and cut and smooth granite that way. If there is someone who does it that way, then I have never heard of them, or that business, or seen anything in regards to someone actually doing it, and having success with a smooth polished granite slab! I know it mentioned about Diorite saws, but I have scoured the internet, and not been able to find anything in regards to these Diorite saws! If they had Diorite saws, where are they at? Is there evidence of these? Or is it speculation, that they must have used Diorite saws, because they had access to Diorite? I have had to sand granite before, it is one of the hardest surfaces I know of, other than Diamonds, and Diorite, it takes quite a bit of sanding with an electric sander, I cannot imagine someone rubbing day after day , week after week, over and over just to smooth one foot of granite!

Pons Asinorum

Postby Pons Asinorum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Bob137 wrote:In regards to the granite, if you are referring to Hearte's answers in another post...

No, I am not.

The provided link in my previous comment will take you to a prior thread, and my own research and assertion.

Hearte

Postby Hearte » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:14 am

bootlegpass wrote: However, to take ones comments that point out some obvious flaws in AA theory an label someone as a "debunker" or nonbeliever is unfair. I get the impression that if I believe exactly as you, I am accepted as long as I don't question it; however, if I do have questions or comments about obvious issues that hamper the advancement of AA theory, I am not welcome here.

Amen to that, bootlegpass!

bootlegpass wrote:Would you lend creedence to someone who was passing off as fact, something that had been proven false? I know EVD admitted it, but why not remove it and attempt to advanvce the theory of AA on it's plethora of factual evidence?

EVD has done far worse that just make mistakes in his claims. He was caught red-handed, and admitted to, forging evidence. In that case he had paid a potter to make a bowl that showed a UFO and a gray alien on it and passed it off as an ancient artifact supposedly found at some archaeological dig.

Why would anyone spend valuable time trying to "debunk" a person that did something like that? I would think it unnecessary.

Hearte

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:59 pm

No one has debunked the artificially flattened mountain tops at Nazca.

Mainstream explanations regarding Puma Punku are unproven assumptions.

Regarding debunking pottery, there are granite vases in the Cairo museum, unless they have been recently stolen, that we can not reproduce today.

Hearte

Postby Hearte » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:12 am

Gemini wrote:No one has debunked the artificially flattened mountain tops at Nazca.

Nazca is an eroded plain in the hills. There are no artificially flattened mountaintops.

Gemini wrote:Mainstream explanations regarding Puma Punku are unproven assumptions.

The existence of the electron is also an unproven assumption.

Gemini wrote:Regarding debunking pottery, there are granite vases in the Cairo museum, unless they have been recently stolen, that we can not reproduce today.

Perhaps you cannot reproduce them, but other people certainly can.

Hearte

Ace Rimmer
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:38 am

Nothing can convince me that this is a naturally eroded mountain top.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Hearte

Postby Hearte » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:33 am

Metaluna wrote:Nothing can convince me that this is a naturally eroded mountain top.

It's not.

It's a piece of an eroded plain.

Hearte

Bob137

Postby Bob137 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 am

Mountain tops and plains do not erode in such a manner, never have, and never will. You might want to try not to be bias, and have an open mind, which is what science is supposed to be, research with an open mind, always an open mind. If you see an eroded plain there, you might want to get some new glasses, since it is not from erosion, but actual leveling of the plain of the mountain tops! :shock:

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:43 pm

So what eroded it? Rain? Wind? That does not look natural to me, but I won't say aliens built it either. It does need to be studied instead of ignored.

PegasusAngel

Postby PegasusAngel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:42 pm

maxmercury wrote:So what eroded it? Rain? Wind? That does not look natural to me, but I won't say aliens built it either. It does need to be studied instead of ignored.

Definitely agree with you here...needs to be studied.

Liborio

Re:

Postby Liborio » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:38 pm

upperworld wrote:Any author, scientist, or skeptic that attempts to debunk ancient astronaut theorists, or any theorist for that matter and uses family lineage as ammo is certainly not worth listening to.

The questions raised by Mr. E.V.D in the book are just that questions. And in my and many others opinions they are not far fetched. When it was theorized that the world was round was it not ridiculed as ridiculous. They wanted and demanded proof but no one wanted to seek proof for fear of falling off. It seems to me that the debunkers are just that. Its easier to sit back and ridicule the questions raised by some,as wild as they may seem, than to open their minds to the possibility. What are they afraid of?

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Re: Re:

Postby Moon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Liborio wrote:The questions raised by Mr. E.V.D in the book are just that questions. And in my and many others opinions they are not far fetched. When it was theorized that the world was round was it not ridiculed as ridiculous. They wanted and demanded proof but no one wanted to seek proof for fear of falling off. It seems to me that the debunkers are just that. Its easier to sit back and ridicule the questions raised by some,as wild as they may seem, than to open their minds to the possibility. What are they afraid of?

The idea that the ancients and even the during the Dark Ages of people thinking the world was flat is a myth. They knew it was round and it was an ancient Greek mathematician who proved it by measuring shadows in various places of Egypt and Greece. (The name of who it is escapes me now.)

Liborio

Postby Liborio » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:41 pm

maxmercury wrote:
Liborio wrote:The questions raised by Mr. E.V.D in the book are just that questions. And in my and many others opinions they are not far fetched. When it was theorized that the world was round was it not ridiculed as ridiculous. They wanted and demanded proof but no one wanted to seek proof for fear of falling off. It seems to me that the debunkers are just that. Its easier to sit back and ridicule the questions raised by some,as wild as they may seem, than to open their minds to the possibility. What are they afraid of?

The idea that the ancients and even the during the Dark Ages of people thinking the world was flat is a myth. They knew it was round and it was an ancient Greek mathematician who proved it by measuring shadows in various places of Egypt and Greece. (The name of who it is escapes me now.)

Was it a myth then that the men on Christopher Columbus voyage talked about a mutiny when they thought the captain was certainly leading them to their deaths. That they were heading to the edge of the world and would fall to the depths like that of a water fall. :lol:

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Liborio wrote:Was it a myth then that the men on Christopher Columbus voyage talked about a mutiny when they thought the captain was certainly leading them to their deaths. That they were heading to the edge of the world and would fall to the depths like that of a water fall. :lol:

Christopher Columbus was a learned man and knew the world was round. That is why he thought of the short cut to get to China and the Asian markets as the New World was not common knowledge back then.

The movies made about Columbus are fiction and his crew did not try to mutiny because they thought the world was flat. They did get restless during the voyage (like some kids do) as it was an unknown as to how long it would take to get there.

Cydonia

Postby Cydonia » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:48 am

Tired of the BS! I am a huge fan of Herr Von Daniken which caused me to get banned on a UFO forum. Basically the post was to discredit Herr Von Daniken by saying that Herr Von Daniken has finally come out and admitted that his theories of the Ancient Astronaut theory was made up and he really has nothing to back it. I have been following the works and writings of Erich Von Daniken since I was about 5 years old, that was back in 1974.
I wrote a post back stating that I would like to see this video, knowing that this never took place. The response was "are you calling me a liar?" I said no, but I know would really like to see this. I got an email saying that I am now banned from the forum for being hostile to the members who are skeptics. So I was being hostile for asking to see the video?
Bob137 wrote:
It seems to me, that the Ancient Astronaut Theory is pretty much debunking mainstream theories, and then they retaliate.
I have to believe that many of the forums out there have members who are part of the government trying to discredit the truth! What do you think?

Ace Rimmer
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:31 am

Cydonia wrote:Tired of the BS! I am a huge fan of Herr Von Daniken which caused me to get banned on a UFO forum. Basically the post was to discredit Herr Von Daniken by saying that Herr Von Daniken has finally come out and admitted that his theories of the Ancient Astronaut theory was made up and he really has nothing to back it. I have been following the works and writings of Erich Von Daniken since I was about 5 years old, that was back in 1974.
I wrote a post back stating that I would like to see this video, knowing that this never took place. The response was "are you calling me a liar?" I said no, but I know would really like to see this. I got an email saying that I am now banned from the forum for being hostile to the members who are skeptics. So I was being hostile for asking to see the video?
Bob137 wrote:
It seems to me, that the Ancient Astronaut Theory is pretty much debunking mainstream theories, and then they retaliate.
I have to believe that many of the forums out there have members who are part of the government trying to discredit the truth! What do you think?

They sound like a real open-minded friendly bunch! I have no idea if that is true or not. I think there are loads of jerks sitting around just looking for conflicts on many forums. But you won't find that here.
I would have asked to see the proof as well.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Bob137

Postby Bob137 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:46 am

Cydonia, don't feel alone, I got banned from another site, for citing that Mary was more than likely artificially inseminated, and that Jesus was probably a Hybrid.

Cydonia

Postby Cydonia » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:26 am

Bob137 wrote:Cydonia, don't feel alone, I got banned from another site, for citing that Mary was more than likely artificially inseminated, and that Jesus was probably a Hybrid.

Yes I agree, I think you are 100% correct!

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:52 pm

One of the problems is Herr von Daniken made a few erroneous claims in one of his early books. The mainstreamers and debunkers have never let him live those mistakes down.

Herr von Daniken has since addressed those mistakes and owned up to them in his book History Is Wrong. I have never seen a debunker admit to being wrong when they have been called out on something. Philip Klass is the only one to admit to being wrong when he made some claims Mr Stanton Friedman challenged.

I do not even go to any board that is primarily skeptic. They never listen to any ideas and love to slam any idea outside of the box. We have had a few skeptic members here, but most of them have left the building.

Liborio

Postby Liborio » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:21 pm

The government had a scientist in the 50's in Project Blue Book investigating and overseeing UFO reports and sighting. At first he claimed the sightings were hoaxes or false, figments of peoples imagination. Then he changed his position and mind after many investigations. I think he saw the truth. I can respect a man who is wrong and admits it. That take courage.

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Moon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:33 pm

I do think it will take a major find of evidence for Herr von Daniken to get the acceptance of the mainstreamers. However, I do agree with you Liborio about it taking courage to admitting to making mistakes. After reading History Is Wrong, I gained much new respect for Herr von Daniken.

There is a thread here about Herr von Daniken working on a final book which will offer the best evidence which proves the theory once and for all. I look forward to the book, although I do wish he will not retire after writing it.

Winjarra

Re: Space Ships

Postby Winjarra » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:24 am

Bob137 wrote:In regards to those pictures of space ships by the sun: I was thinking that maybe they have to utilize a sun for a wormhole, utilizing the sun's energy to open up a wormhole from one sun to another. Maybe that is why many appear close to the sun, since they have to utilize the suns power to open up a wormhole, or possibly wormholes only exist close to suns, and even could be both they need the suns power, and wormholes only open next to suns? Anyway it is a thought I had from looking at so many pictures of space craft close to the sun, prior to departing our solar system, r coming into our solar system.

The Kardeshev Scale

Type I – this civilization harnesses the energy output of an entire planet.

Type II – this civilization harnesses the energy output of a star, and generates about 10 billion times the energy output of a Type I civilization.

Bob137

Postby Bob137 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:53 am

Yeah we are still a civilization of type 0. To bad for us stupid stinky monkey people, huh! I wonder if we will ever get to be space faring beings, the way our humanity has turned upside down.

Return to “Erich von Däniken”