Erich von Daniken and faith

Discuss everything Erich von Däniken related here: Chariots of the Gods, his books, appearances, etc. Have you ever met EvD in person? When? Where? Share your story/photos here!

Moderators: siren13, Giorgio Tsoukalos, Essence

Ninhoersag

Erich von Daniken and faith

Postby Ninhoersag » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:55 am

After reading von Daniken I lost the last tiny bit of faith in god and became
an Atheist.
However a few month later I heard that Erich himself is not!
Who has had the same experience as me or who can explain this to me?

Nightwind

Postby Nightwind » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:11 am

I think you had this experience because of the fact that in school, in the media, and in politics, faith equals believing in one of the "accepted" world religions. All the old religions that have been forbidden by our current world religions are considered "myths" instead of "religions", and believing in them is considered to be naive and primitive, while believing in the "accepted" religions is considered a positive thing.
So therefor, I think that when people realize that their own religion have misunderstood quite a few things, they tend to think that this was "the only" religion, and therefor there is now none left.
However, believing in something doesn't have to mean believing in what some organized religion says is the ultimate truth. In my oppinion, you will find alot more wisdom by looking into yourself to find "your own truth" and then open-mindedly discuss this with others, rather than just forcing yourself to believe in what some organization has decided is the "correct truth".

So, what I want to say with this is... congratulations on awakening from what other people have taught you. You are now free to find out what makes sense to yourself! :D

nathanallan

Postby nathanallan » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:53 am

Totally agreed. I myself was "woken up" from a Catholic upbringing. After studying up on the subject, I decided that my particular faith was not for me. Later found that most of them weren't for me. Then I heard about the AAT, read up on that, and took a good long look inside myself. Something that really helped me along (I recommend that everyone have to do it but hope it never has to happen to anyone), I had a scare about death. I won't go intoit here, too long, but there's nothing more awakening for a person than if they think they're going to die. Breaks down all the social programming and erases all learned behavior.

For a while I think I was atheist. Took me a while to see that just because there were ancient gods, that doesn't mean they were the only ones. Or One. I feel closer to God now more than ever.

Now that you're not a mind slave anymore, Ninhoersag, you can go forth and find a true path!

Nathan

Daentwo
Legendary Times Fan

Postby Daentwo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:47 am

Erich is best described as a pantheist, I think. He doesn't believe in a personal god who sits on a cloud, but he has a faith in a superior power of the universe. Difficult to understand, that he goes to church then, because I assume it's hard to find that superior power there, between the text passages of the Old Testament, for which he has his special explanation. But the experience of faith in something higher, together with others is important in his opinion.

Personally I think it's neighter reasonable strictly to deny everything that is not materialistic, like an atheist from the sceptics society, nor to have a blind dogmatic faith in a religion, like all these extremists.
I'm convinced that the truth lies between their positions. The universe holds many surprises ready for us, which are not always formed to be measured by our instruments. But that is surely very different from the content of bigoted dogmatic books.

Stormcrow
Manna Machine Initiate

Postby Stormcrow » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:36 am

After reading Erich's editorial in the new Legendary Times, I wonder if he has noticed this thread, and if so, I invite him to post on the forum...maybe he already has.
Forge of Creation - http://www.aliengods.jbsheets.com

The art of life is to go confidently, without
rushing, without faltering. To meet and
master the four natural challenges:
Fear, Clarity of Thought, Power, and the
Desire to Rest.

Giorgio Tsoukalos
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Giorgio Tsoukalos » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:17 am

Daentwo wrote:Erich is best described as a pantheist, I think. He doesn't believe in a personal god who sits on a cloud, but he has a faith in a superior power of the universe.

110% correct.

Daentwo wrote:Difficult to understand, that he goes to church then, because I assume it's hard to find that superior power there, between the text passages of the Old Testament, for which he has his special explanation.

Incorrect. EvD hasn't been to church in over 50 years.
legendarytimesbooks.com
Controversial. Uncensored.

Don't Die Wondering! Crack the Code...
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." Albert Einstein

Giorgio Tsoukalos
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Giorgio Tsoukalos » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 am

Daentwo wrote:Erich is best described as a pantheist, I think. He doesn't believe in a personal god who sits on a cloud, but he has a faith in a superior power of the universe.

110% correct. Even though a "pantheist" does not describe someone who subscribes to the "essence of the universe" per se. There is/are no personal god(s) in EvD's (and mine, actually) philosophy.

Daentwo wrote:Difficult to understand, that he goes to church then, because I assume it's hard to find that superior power there, between the text passages of the Old Testament, for which he has his special explanation.

Incorrect. EvD hasn't been to church in over 60 years.
legendarytimesbooks.com

Controversial. Uncensored.

Don't Die Wondering! Crack the Code...

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." Albert Einstein

Return to “Erich von Däniken”