Yahoo plans on keeping search records

You decide... let the speculation begin!

Moderators: siren13, Giorgio Tsoukalos, Essence

Moon
Ancient Astronaut

Yahoo plans on keeping search records

Postby Moon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:45 pm

I found this in the news today:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011- ... ention.htm

After stating they would not keep them they have done a u-turn on this subject.

I am one who values my privacy and does not like people prying into my business. That means both government and browsers, plus any other group that keeps track of what is going on.

Theory

Re: Yahoo plans on keeping search records

Postby Theory » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:50 pm

I don't think we have much privacy if any at all on the internet nowadays. I for one don't use Yahoo to search for things, but I still don't think its right.

Hamachi

Postby Hamachi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Then you should be using http://startpage.com/

It is located in the Netherlands and they do not keep any records of what you search for and is the one I use exclusively:

startpage wrote:Startpage Protects Your Privacy!

Startpage is powered by Ixquick.
The only search engine that does not record your IP address.
Your privacy is under attack!

Every time you use a regular search engine, your search data is recorded. Major search engines capture your IP address and use tracking cookies to make a record of your search terms, the time of your visit, and the links you choose - then they store that information in a giant database.

Those searches reveal a shocking amount of personal information about you, such as your interests, family circumstances, political leanings, medical conditions, and more. This information is modern-day gold for marketers, government officials, hackers and criminals - all of whom would love to get their hands on your private search data.

Why should you worry?

Major search engines have quietly amassed the largest database of personal information on individuals ever collected. Unfortunately, this data can all too easily fall into the wrong hands. Consider the following story:

In August 2006, the online world was jarred when AOL accidentally released three months' worth of aggregated search data from 650,000 of its users, publishing all the details in an online database.
That database is still searchable. It is an absolute eye-opener to see the potential for privacy nightmares.
—>Enter a query and find who searched for it
—>Then click on a "User ID" to find what else this user searched for

Shocked? You are not alone.
When we search, we share our most private thoughts with our computers.
These private thoughts should be safe.

Startpage's position:

You have a right to privacy.
Your search data should never fall into the wrong hands.
The only real solution is quickly deleting your data or not storing them to begin with.
Since January 2009 we do not record our users' IP addresses anymore.
We are the first and only search engine to do so.
Our initiative is receiving an overwhelmingly positive response!

Startpage will wholeheartedly continue on its mission to offer you great search results in the best possible privacy!

Ace Rimmer
Ancient Astronaut

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Oh well, they are probably spying on us in our homes anyway. I guess I am just getting old and tired and blasé about things I have no control over.
I have enough crap going on in my life to piss me off and annoy me and get me upset already.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Return to “Conspiracies - Fact or Fiction?”